On Sonntag 17 Mai 2009 Yet Another Ninja wrote:
> > I generally like the idea. But this project is in the beginners
> > phase, and a whole lot of people will want to wait until others
> > report it's benefits. After all, who wishes to put it in production
> > and then maybe it causes a lot of FPs?
>
> Then YOU have caused the FPs by raising the score. Bobody told you
> tgo score it above 0.5 and if you fear, YOU can lower the score.

OK

> > That said, I'll implement and test it, and hopefully it's good,
> > with no FPs.
>
> How can score of 0.001 cause a false positive?

I didn't mean that the final result be a FP, just this one ruleset.
Shouldn't the goal be to have no FPs and lots of corrects?

> Considering most will use any old obsoleted ruleset without asking
> questions (SARE) just coz others say its kewl, any generic fear of
> FPs is totally unfounded as its all under the end user's control.
> As with any published BL data, nobody is asking you to reject,
> discard or closely trust the data published in the respective list.

Interesting way to see this. I maintain the ZMI_GERMAN ruleset that a
*lot* of people use, and whenever someone complains a FP (which were
very few since the list was created in October 2005), I blame myself and
improve. Not insult others saying "your fault".

DNSBLs that create lots of FPs are quickly disabled by admins who have
customers in their back. I didn't want to insult anybody, but it should
be clear that if a ruleset is to be used it should have an advantage.

I installed it on a small server getting about 73.800 connects a day, of
which 70.400 are immediately rejected (34.000 because of RBL listing).
Final incoming are about 3000 a day, of which very few are spam. I just
started logging EMAILBL, we'll see if it helps here.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0660 / 415 65 31                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net                  Key-ID: 1C1209B4