On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 09:47 -0400, Neil Schwartzman wrote:
> I would like to add some perspective to potential use of the BRBL.
>
> Three weeks ago, I began requesting de-listings of any IP (active or
> suspended) on Certified that was listed on the Barracuda BRBL. When I
> started on April 29 there were 431 such IPs, as of today there are 22, of
> those there are 5 repeat listings.

We're not going down the path of judging blacklists based on whitelists
or certification services, or vice versa, do we?

Every such list or service has FPs, at least occasionally. In a scoring
system this is not a problem, since a single mis-fire will not harm the
message.

BTW, Neil, may I remind you about the spam, unsolicited bulk advertising
mail with my address obviously harvested or bought -- whitelisted both
by Habeas SafeList and Sender Score Certified? ;)  Reported, and the
offender got de-listed.

Yes, every list does have occasional FPs. So your point about those 22
listings is what exactly?

> Of interest is the verbiage Barracuda sends to listees, stating repeatedly
> that the IP is on a compromised host.

Referring to the response you quoted?  They did NOT state it IS. They
stated it MAY be the reason, out of a number of reasons.

> They also assert the mail is "not CANSPAM compliant".

Same. s/is/may/    # hint to Neil: substitute "is" by "may" ;-)

Arguing about one error-prone system by considering a single other
error-prone system is a slippery slope.

  guenther

--
char *t="\10pse\0r\0dtu...@ghno\x4e\xc8\x79\xf4\xab\x51\x8a\x10\xf4\xf4\xc4";