LuKreme wrote:
> It's a good thing there are other hosting companies that are not
> willfully retarded, isn't it?

No, I'd consider that a rather sane decision.  Back when my distribution
had user accounts with shell access, I had custom rules disabled too.
The reason is that some people don't understand how to write rules,
putting mundane words, often without word-breaks, or enormous globs that
just destroy the system's efficiency.  Then they score these
poorly-written rules with ten points and wonder why they're missing so
much mail.

And my users are mostly software engineers.

Instead, I've encouraged my users to send me tips and whatnot, and if
they want to create rules, they can do so by emailing me.  The few times
this has happened, I've had to reveal that similar but better-written
rules already exist, or that the rules are too general, or that I could
rewrite them for safety, efficiency, and to catch a wider range of spams.

While it's not as clearly advantageous to do this with
white/blacklisting, the same applies for that.  I browse the offending
mails, look for something to filter on, possibly (though unlikely) write
a minor rule, then report it and teach the global bayes, then add it to
AWL for the temporary 30 point swing.