On 25-Jun-2009, at 03:55, rich...@buzzhost.co.uk wrote:
On Thu, 2009-06-25 at 11:39 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
rich...@buzzhost.co.uk wrote:

On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 19:00 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Benny Pedersen wrote:

2) I didn't include free email providers in my list of "large and
serious hosting providers" - I was thinking more of organisations
such as 1and1, hetzner, rackspace etc. etc.

My special award goes to 1and1. I get *so much* spam from their
'customers' that I block all of their ranges. I've come across many
others who do the same.

Really? Well, I can't afford that sort of thing, my customers would get
up and leave pretty quickly.
I have found the opposite to be true. When I have pointed out to my
customers that using 1and1 is going to give *them* issues with
deliverability of *their* email, they are often keen to find another
provider. No small business wants the hassle of their mail getting
dropped silently on the floor because of the provider they are with and
it's a buyers market.

Yep. I'm not familiar with 1and1 specifically, but I've been in the position of having to tell someone that if they didn't move their domain and mail to a reliable and non-spam friendly host they were going to have a lot of mail not getting delivered. The most recent one was a friend of a friend who notice that the volume on his mailing- lists had been dropping steadily for months. I checked and his IP block was listed in several RBLs.

Once he moved his domain his mailinglist recovered very quickly.

It's sort of like a nice store that is in a really bad neighborhood. A lot of people will simply not go there, no matter how great the store is. you want the best access, you move to a nicer neighborhood.

--
Bishops move diagonally. That's why they often turn up where the
        kings don't expect them to be.