Charles Gregory wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Rick Macdougall wrote:
I can't speak for others but at my main job (20K+ email accounts) it happens about once every 2 month's or so. Some how the spammer gets a hold of someone's password and either uses smtp-auth or webmail to send out spam.

"Somehow" is not that hard to imagine with my daily apportionment of e-mail-suspended-enter-your-password phishs trying to get through my system.... :)

- C

I've got 20 or so random name accounts set up that forward to my spam trap. I keep an eye on the incoming messages and when I do see one of those slip through I block the return address on the out going mail server, set up a rule to block further attempts and have tech support contact any users that did reply.

It used to be a lot worse on the old email setup they had before I joined but we are a lot more proactive now and have a lot less problems due to tools like SA, Clam and thid party sigs.

Regards,

Rick