Hello,

> The taunting *is* the issue. The rest of the arguments, about design
> and
> defaults, are carried on by numerous individuals in a quite civilized
> manner. But when someone starts throwing arond stupid accusations, then
> the person attacked focuses their efforts on 'defending' themselves,
> rather than on a fair unbiased review of what *should* be the 'issue'.

Fair call.

> To make a point requires nothing more than well-established facts. But
> name-calling and mindless accusations are an ego-driven thing. Once
> someone invests their arguments with ego, you cannot count on anything
> they say being accurate to any degree. They will literally say anything
> advance their 'cause' and 'win' whatever argument they have joined.

I'd have to agree on this point. My missus does this all of the time. She
will know she is wrong, and still tell me until blue in the teeth that she's
right about said topic.. So I guess what you're saying here is that it's no
longer possible to do what we did in the "old days" and just 'ignore the
troll'..

> > Someone has to stir the pot occasionally, and it doesn't hurt to
> > have someone around that makes you think outside the square.
>
> Interestingly enough, *I* have stirred this same pot a couple of times,
> with very little effect. So while it is a reasonable argument that
> being
> offensive and abusive fails to achieve results, I have to admit that
> being
> quiet and deferring in tone also has little effect. So I wonder, what
> *does* it take for the 'amateurs' (that would be folks like me! *grin*)
> to bring a possible issue to the attention of the people in the 'know',
> and have it discussed?

If you ask me, it's the whole "newbie" thing. People with lesser
knowledge/skills are probably too afraid to raise issues, thinking that
their issue is probably caused by their own ignorance, or lack of
experience. I know I've felt like this before, and have certainly been made
to feel rather stupid after asking certain questions - this is not specific
to this mailing list, but mailing lists in general.

> I ask again, on the issue of whitelists, is there a serious issue with
> spammers targetting white-listed IP's as favored candidates for
> hacking?
> I'm okay with the answer being 'no'. I'm sure people with large servers
> and good statistics could answer this question. But I get no answer at
> all. I don't think it is because of any conspiracy. But perhaps the
> people
> who know are just too busy?

To answer the first question : No. We do not have any problems with Spam or
hacking regarding our Mail gateway, using Spamassassin. Any Spam that has
slipped through in the last several months certainly have not had any SA
Default Whitelist scores assigned to them whatsoever. If anything, spam that
gets through our system is stuff that hits almost no rules at all (positive
or negative). Statistics are at the end of this E-Mail.

I think one of the issues with getting information from people that aren't
having any problems is the fact that they probably can't be bothered posting
if they don't have any issues to resolve. What do you think?

Statistics Since Thursday 04th Jun, 2009

RBL Reject:             8480229
HELO Reject:            5827978
Clean Messages:                 2014848
Invalid Recipients:     277983
Spam Messages:          228941
Relay Denied:           26112
Virus Messages:                 2588

Total Messages Processed: 16858679

I get all of the Spam messages that slip through the system submitted to a
public folder on our network, and analyse the headers for what rules did/did
not fire. As previous, I've not seen any Spam that has default SA whitelist
scores associated.