On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Keith De Souza wrote:
Sorry as I'm new to SA can you elaborated what you mean by glue?

Geek terminology for the program, script or other mechanism that 'connects' your MTA and your SA. Ie. The calling MTA or its script must do the size check, then decide *whether* to call SA....

I'm trying to understand why is it taking 300.0 seconds to scan a message
only 24Kb in size??

1) Server is overloaded. Your load only has to go 10-20% over your system's 'maximum capacity' to cause processing times to jump from 20 seconds up to five minutes or more....

2) Something that SA relies upon, like your DNS server, is taking way too long to do its job. Check that your DNS has a reasonable timeout value. Otherwise it could be waiting for a non-existent domain....
This would be the case if the problem occurs for certain addresses,
or more often on spam (which comes from 'unknown' systems) than on legitimate mail....

3) There may be a 'locking' issue with any databases (Bayes?) that SA uses. Again, this may only become a problem under heave load, with too many concurrent SA processes....

My thoughs so far is to perhaps reducing the file size that SA takes to scan
and see if the scan time reduces.

It is a better idea to try and reduce the number of emails that SA will process at the same time.

- C