On Thu, 1 Apr 2010, Keith De Souza wrote:

I've now made some changes to my spamd conf file (/etc/conf.d/spamd) based
on the replies given.
This is what it looks like now:

==========
SPAMD_OPTS="-m 6 -H -u mail -D --timeout-child=60"

You don't need -D (debugging output) unless you're actively troubleshooting a problem. Remove that.

# SPAMD_NICELEVEL lets you set the 'nice'ness of the running
# spamd process

#SPAMD_NICELEVEL=1

I've also hashed out the "SPAMD_NICELEVEL=1", not sure why it was there in
the first place.
Any ideas what this entry does?

It allows you to adjust the relative priority of spam processing. If SA is not invoked during SMTP (i.e. not during the interactive part of mail exchange, where the computer on the other end has to wait for it to finish processing before it can go on to the next message it wants to send), then you can reduce the priority of SA to give higher priority to interactive operations (e.g. to the SMTP exchange, to webmail that's running on the same host, etc.) - if the spam scan is taking place in the background, what does it matter if it takes 25 seconds or 30? You may want to improve the response of activities a user is actually waiting on.

  Gun Control is marketed to the public using the appealing delusion
  that violent criminals will obey the law.
 Today: April Fools' day