Royce Williams wrote:
What is the optimal configuration (local.cf or other) for an ISP's
MSAs to prevent unauthenticated dynamic-IP customers from triggering
dynamic tests, but still benefiting from general filtering?

I was hoping for a magical 'mua_networks' option, which let me
enumerate the IP space that my users submit from, and automatically
exempt them from DOS_OE_TO_MX, etc., but I haven't been able to find
anything like that.

From my reading of the .conf manpage, the TrustPath page, and the
archives (see references below), I've tentatively concluded that I
will need to have some local rule overrides on all of my MSAs for any
rule or meta-rule that detects dynamic-looking hostnames ... but that
seems high-maintenance locally as well as a lot of duplicated work for
other SA users.

Read, read, and re-read. It's a bit tangled and confusing balancing the various requirements but you should be able to get it right with a little effort.

To summarize what I've applied here:

trusted_networks: Contains CIDR ranges for our servers. These systems are "trusted" in that we know they will not forge Received: headers. I've added a number of third-party systems here for various reasons.

internal_networks: IPs or CIDR ranges for your inbound mail flow, *within your network*. Usually equivalent to trusted_networks, but not always; must be *entirely contained by* trusted_networks. I've included one of Postini's IP ranges here to catch mail relayed to domains handled by Postini that might otherwise have been blocked at the MTA level by Spamhaus' Zen.

msa_networks: IPs of CIDR ranges for your outbound mail flow, IE systems that accept mail from your authorized customer IP ranges. (and anywhere else via SMTP AUTH or similar). As far as I can tell, these *may* overlap internal_networks but if you're big enough that these settings are a problem, they probably don't. Also a subset of trusted_networks. (FWIW, I found overlapping this with internal_networks caused problems. YMMV.)

We scan all outbound mail with the same SA cluster as our inbound scanning, and I haven't seen misbehaviour I could blame on these settings since sometime last summer (couple of corner-case oddities IIRC); before that it would have been more than a year since I dug into them in detail and added the msa_networks entries along with the upgrade to SA 3.2 (IIRC).

-kgd