On 4/14/10 2:23 PM, Kris Deugau wrote:
Michael Scheidell wrote:
On 4/14/10 12:21 PM, Kris Deugau wrote:
Is there a consistent way to match whatever headers might be available in a returned message?

use the vbounce rules. google for sa and vbounce. its already done if you are using a newer version of SA. you need to specifically whitelist the outbound mail servers, and it can catch OOO and vacation messages (anything machine generated)

*nod* And after a quick check, I've apparently had those rules active for quite a while. (In fact, one of the subrules for my metas is BOUNCE_MESSAGE.)

But they don't differentiate based on whatever original-message content may be available - and as a medium-sized ISP we're not in a postition to arbitrarily block all NDRs. There are too many ways legitimate NDRs may come into our mail system in response to legitimate customer mail.

I'm looking for a way to match on that original-message content - after all, that's the real spam payload; the rest of the message is perfectly legitimate.
yes, but they are disabled unless you have specific whitelists. the 'original-message content' you are looking for.

vbounce rules are disabled, even if you enable them unless you also have this in *.cf

whitelist_bounce_relays  {your outbound mail servers}

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
Phone: 561-999-5000, x 1259
> *| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation

   * Certified SNORT Integrator
   * Best Anti-Spam Product 2008, Network Products Guide
   * King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrap(r). For Information please see http://www.secnap.com/products/spammertrap/ ______________________________________________________________________