On Wed, 5 May 2010, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
Why shouldn't it be possible?
SpamAssassin doesn't care where the mail comes from....

Well, actually, it DOES. The test DOS_DIRECT_TO_MX being an example.

Which brings me back to the slightly confused feeling that I still get over 'trusted_networks' (which is what the OP should specify so that his outbond clients do not trigger RBL rules) and internal networks.

In particular, I find these two paragraphs from Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf
to be contradictory:

        Trusted relays that accept mail directly from dial-up connections
        (i.e. are also performing a role of mail submission agents - MSA)
        should not be listed in "internal_networks". List them only in
        "trusted_networks".

        If "trusted_networks" is set and "internal_networks" is not, the
        value of "trusted_networks" will be used for this parameter.

So my mail server handles ALL mail, incoming and outgoing. According to the first paragraph, I should not list my mail server under 'internal_networks' because it is an MSA. Because I have no other MTA to list as 'internal' I have NO setting for 'internal_networks'.

But according to the second paragraph, this makes my MSA 'default' to being an internal_network because its value is lifted from
'trusted_networks'?

I don't think our dialup IP's are triggering the direct-to-mx rules, but that may only be because our dynamic IP's are not listed on the appropriate RBL's. So is the second paragraph *wrong* about the default usage? Or am I lucky? should I specify a 'not' rule for internal networks, just to preserve the trusted-only status of my dialups?

- Charles