On Sun, 2010-06-13 at 11:35 -0400, Charles Gregory wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:

> > There are just a very few rules "scanning" non-textual parts of a mail.
> > Large-ish binary attachments don't have much of an impact on
> > performance. Large-ish textual attachments potentially do.
>
> Now THAT is a curious comment. All the usage guidelines I have ever read
> implied or outright stated that scanning mails over a certain size was a
> significant degradation to system performance. Am I confusing the

Well, a large message internally of course needs more memory and
slightly more time for parsing.

However, most RE rules, which account or the bulk of the load, are
operating on headers and rendered textual parts. They won't be run
against images, zip files, etc.

> guidelines for antivirus programs with those for SA? Would it be 'safe' to
> run SA on messages with larger attachments? Anyone ever tested this?

Mind trying it yourself? If you're using spamc, just save such a message
and feed it to spamc with an appropriately large -s option. Does it take
significantly longer, or is it just about any other spam?

Also, do that test with ham. This is important, since, as you said, you
are merely getting less than one of these as spam. How many hams that
size do you get?

As a general thought -- though I believe I stated this before -- how
many messages are affected anyway? Both ham and spam. How many messages
larger than 500k and, say, less than 1M do you get in total? In percent
of your mail stream? Are you really afraid your system cannot cope with
a hand full of larger mail per week?

Or, to put it in other words: Even if processing such a mail does take
twice or three times as long burning your CPU, at the end of the week,
would you even notice the increased load?

--
char *t="\10pse\0r\0dtu...@ghno\x4e\xc8\x79\xf4\xab\x51\x8a\x10\xf4\xf4\xc4";