Just to clarify some things:

Jerry M wrote:

> I'm really surprised that there is so little info or support for
> installing spamd a service.

The reason, it is not mentioned in the official SpamAssassin docs or Wiki is
because SpamD is not supported for Windows. There are projects like SaWin32
(unfortunately discontinued) and the one I am developing (SpamAssassin for
Windows) but you'll always have to consider that they are some kind of
Windows port and therefore may not behave like a SpamAssassin you installed
on a unix box.

Jerry M wrote:

> I run apache http, tomcat, and james, and they all simply install as a
> service automatically or just give me a command to run to do it.  If
> that's still on the SA todo list, then I understand.

It is not on the SpamAssassin todo list and it will never be because the
SpamAssassin project "just" provides the sources to compile this great
spamfilter yourself. For most unix users this is not a big deal, however for
Windows you will have to consider some additional issues, most of this is
mentioned in my HowTo on the JAM Software website. However, compiling
SpamAssassin yourself will not provide you with the usual Windows
[exe]cutable files, it will create a batch file that serves as a wrapper for
the actual Perl scripts, SpamAssassin is contained in. As the official
SpamAssassin project does not provide binary builds, you may understand,
that they do not provide Windows setup files either.

JAM provides a binary build of SpamAssassin as we use it in some of our
commercial applications. As we owe something to the developers and the
community, we provide the binary build free of charge and published a HowTo
to create it yourself. However, we will not provide it as a preconfigured,
easy-to-use Windows service, as this would make parts of our products kind
of obsolete.

Just to mention it: I'm looking forward to release a new build of our port
within the next weeks (lost some time finishing my bachelor thesis ;)).
There have been made improvements regarding SpamD stability, also Razor will
now be able to work properly.

Best regards,

Daniel Lemke