On 10/30, m...@khonji.org wrote:
> I misread your email then, my bad.
>
> As far as I understand it now, is that you are getting the hostname by
> reverse DNS lookup against the connecting SMTP peer (that is sending a mail).
>
> Then you use that FQDN to for a DNS A RR query. And you expect this IP
> address to match to match against the SMTP peer's IP. This is even worst than
> my initial understanding.

Yes, if I look up the PTR record of an IP address, and then take the host
name from the result of that lookup and use it to do an A record lookup, I
should then get the IP address I started with.

And, again, I've blocked all email that failed that for three years.

Mostly.  I think there were maybe two times I briefly disabled it to talk
to some broken domain.

An example from your email, delivered by IP 209.85.160.173:

$ host 209.85.160.173
173.160.85.209.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer mail-gy0-f173.google.com.

$ host mail-gy0-f173.google.com
mail-gy0-f173.google.com has address 209.85.160.173

And the IP I end up with is the IP I started with.  Pass.

Please explain why you believe it is a bad idea to try creating a test for
this and running it through spamassassin's ruleqa to see if it's useful.

Instead of just telling me you think it's a horrible idea.

A more thorough explanation of the concept is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward-confirmed_reverse_DNS
That is precisely what I'm talking about creating a test for.

> Why would you want a DNS A RR to match an IP that is often founs as MX RR.

That sentence doesn't make sense.  I want a PTR record that matches an
A record in reverse.  That's all.  As it should be.  Nothing to do with
MX records.

> Are you assuming A RR == MX RR? They won't match in many cases.

No, of course not.

OHH.  You... think... I mean the A record for just the domain?

?

No.  That would be ridiculous.  I said the A record for the full host
name returned by the PTR query.

> If you query for an MX DNS RR instead of A RR, it would be less stupid (but
> is still stupid). Paul Vixie's proposal was similar.

What?

Yeah, that must be what you mean.

You think I mean:

192.168.1.1 -> mail.domain.com

And then look up the A record for domain.com?  No.  The A record for
the full host name.  The A record for mail.domain.com.  Which should
be 192.168.1.1.

> Final answer is your practical results. How many FP and TP are you getting? I
> would get crazy high FP in my case.

You've waisted my time by assuming I was clueless and failing at reading
comprehension.

--
"A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."
-Grace Murray Hopper