On 6/9/12 8:24 AM, haman...@t-online.de wrote:
Michael Scheidell wrote:

HS_INDEX_PARAM: tell them not to use web bugs in their marketing emails

Hi Michael,

since we are sending out newsletters (to people who really subscribed:)  and I
got
the role to be my own "email marketing company", I want to comment on that.

We are using a setup similar to ezmlm, so the mail sender contains a bit of
encoding
that identifies the recipient.
from SA's perspective, that's kinda irrelevant.
sorry, but your 'brothers' have behaved so badly that drastic measures have to be taken. SA score is based on 'real numbers', as in 'x% of all email with webbugs is spam' vs x% of all email with webbugs is ham.
(we use mailchimp, does the same thing, ), so we live with it.
I don't like it, but marketing dept wants to know who read the email.
(note, SA isn't in the business of deciding if you read email, just the likelyhood that a specific email is spam, based on 700+ rules that each one decides the likelyhood that each rule is triggered as spam)

that one rule will not make your email be blocked. a combination of rules will.

SA won't remove that rule, and you won't remove the webbug, so, move on. We are willing to live with one or two false positives on 'marketing email', and, if you want to use webbugs, you need to live with some of your 'timely information that the user needs' letters getting marked spam.

We do not live in a perfect world.
You make the business decision: track users or have them read your emails. *(our marketing dept made the business decision to track users :-(.

not my decision.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000