Greylisting was the hangup. For whatever reason other settings changes were
being ignored as long as postgrey was in the mix. I removed postgrey and the
RBSL configuration I did a few months ago finally started to work. So there was
likely something else at play but regardless - I removed Postgrey and my email
started getting filtered properly.

A couple things to keep in mind: 1) I personally get 50-150 pieces of spam *per
hour*. As the owner of a business it’s common to have your public email address
getting slammed.
2) I have spam sorted by ManageSieve so that it’s organized and processed to
limit the employee’s exposure. Eventually all spam over a certain score will be
discarded, but not now.
3) I have, when I’m lucky, a few hours a week to devote to server operation and
health. Plenty of time to check the dailies and apply updates and do a reboot;
but when you have to focus on a server configuration problem that sucks. And it
takes a while to clear out the garbage data from the real stuff.

Now I get 10 emails a day that slip through the scanners instead of 300/day.

I call that a win. This is a dedicated VM for email - if it takes more and more
CPU cycles c'est la vie. That’s a small price to pay. My MySQL server has more
issues than my mail server for resources — a fix that was delayed for months
because of the email issue.

—
Ryan