I am running SpamAssassin 3.4.1. It is running as a background daemon, started with:

/usr/bin/spamd -d --allow-tell

Incoming mail is accepted by postfix 3.1 and submitted via the milter interface to spamass-milter 0.40 for processing in SpamAssassin.

My Postfix installation is set up to use SASL authentication managed by dovecot for any message that does not have a local sender or recipient. This was done to allow users of my system to send mail from mobile devices which may be on cellular connections or remote WiFi networks.

Sometime around January 19th, I suddenly started having messages from authenticated users on remote networks rejected by SpamAssassin, with these test flags in the X-Spam-Status header: HELO_MISC_IP,HTML_MESSAGE,RCVD_IN_BRBL_LASTEXT,RCVD_IN_PBL,RCVD_IN_RP_RNBL,RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL,RDNS_DYNAMIC

I have been running this configuration since April 2016 without having this issue before.

Any ideas about what might be going on, or how to get SpamAssassin to pass messages from authenticated senders?
--

John Stimson