I agree. But it turns out it works pretty well since SPF has been taken
more seriously the past couple of years.  When Gmail and others
started putting SPF failed messages into the Junk folder, it's starting
to be worth something.

I am only doing postwhite exclusions for 2 types of senders:
1. Large mail hosting providers that are too large to block and don't
keep their mail server IPs off of RBLs
2. Highly trusted senders that know what they are doing and keep
their SPF record properly maintained that would already score very
low in SA.

>>Their SPF record can really only be evaluated by the MTA during
>>the SMTP conversation.

>SPF records can be perfectly parser by SA or other software at
>different time.

I think you misunderstood.  PTR records don't change often but
they could.  Their matching A records for FCrDNS could change
too so you can't rely on later processing to know what happened
when that message arrived.

>>The main problem with parsing mail logs is the chicken-and-the-egg
>>issue where you may block a Yahoo mail server with an RBL for a
>>short period until you process the logs.

>what informations do you search in logs that are not in mail headers?

I use MailScanner which is not a milter or otherwise directly part of the
MTA (Postfix in my setup).  This basically creates 2 levels of filtering:
the MTA and MailScanner (SpamAssassin plus many other checks).
My RBLs are done by postscreen (really awesome, everyone should
use it) so I have to allow Yahoo mail servers in the first level of filtering
independent of SA.

>>I think they publish their SPF like this because they have no good
>>list of outbound mail servers themselves so they take the lazy
>>approach.

>I believe that ptr method is one of best methods to implement in spf,
>contrary what the authors say. (I believe) Most of MTAs verify fcrdns of
>connecting
>server so all required information are available in DNS cache at the time of
>SPF processing.

I think I have solved this issue.  Postfix smtpd_client_restrictions
check_client_access does use FCrDNS for domains listed. I will
watch my logs for a few days and make sure this is working properly.