>why this?
>When you run from amavisd, you only need permission for amavis user, not
for
>anyone.

To be sure that is not the problem.  I can tighten it up once working. I
understand thisis what one woudl normally use if they had a multi-user
enviroment.  But it can't hurt the problem for testing, right?

> Is /etc/mail/bayes writeable by amavisd?
Yes, from "3b" in my lists above:  /etc/mail/bayes is wide open right now.

[root@mail2 amavisd]# ls -la /etc/mail/bayes
total 4196
drwxrwxrwx 2 amavis amavis    4096 Aug  9 13:49 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 amavis amavis    4096 Aug  3 13:02 ..
-rwxrwxrwx 1 amavis amavis   86016 Aug  9 09:51 bayes_seen
-rwxrwxrwx 1 amavis amavis 5246976 Aug  9 13:49 bayes_toks