[Please CC/Reply All as I am not subscribed]

On 2022-01-21 08:04, Nathan Hartman wrote:
On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 1:10 PM Brian Inglis
On 2022-01-18 09:00, Nathan Hartman wrote:
I think it makes sense to list it under the Windows heading to keep it
near the other Windows-based options.

Curl lists it under but separate "Windows - Cygwin" which is similar to
their Linux distro listings and is probably clearer:
         https://curl.se/download.html

Ah, thanks for this!
What is the canonical way to install Subversion in the Cygwin
environment? I ask because our Binary Packages page at
https://subversion.apache.org/packages.html gives the command (e.g.,
apt-get, pkg_add, brew, etc.) to install SVN on various Unices, so I'd
like to do the same here.

From OP:
"binary (also source) packages available for installation using the Cygwin Setup program available from cygwin.com".

Cygwin offers users only a native Windows GUI executable Cygwin Setup program (built using Cygwin autotools and Mingw tools) available for x86_64 (and x86) arches downloadable from Cygwin [https://cygwin.com/]:

"...
Installing Cygwin

Install Cygwin by running setup-x86_64.exe
[https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe]

Use the setup program to perform a fresh install or to update an existing installation. [https://cygwin.com/install.html]";
32 bit Cygwin
You have been warned. If you're still sure you really need a 32 bit Cygwin, and there's absolutely no way around it, you may run the
setup-x86.exe installer. [https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe]
The signature can be used to verify the validity of this binary.
[https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe.sig]";

The Cygwin Setup program is manually downloaded (from home page via browser, curl, wget/2, etc.) wherever the user decides and also supports a command line interface which may involve GUI dialogs and windows appearing, depending on how many of the many options you provide e.g.

-g, --upgrade-also       Upgrade installed packages also
-n, --no-shortcuts       Disable creation of desktop and start shortcuts
-P, --packages PKG,...   Specify packages to install
-q, --quiet-mode         Unattended setup mode
-r, --no-replaceonreboot Disable replacing in-use files on next reboot
-v, --verbose            Verbose output

: basic commands
> .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion,subversion-tools
: X GUIs
> .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion-gnome,kdesvn
: file import utilities
> .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P svn-load,svn_load_dirs
: repo conversion utilities
> .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P git-svn,cvs2svn
: language interpreter bindings
> .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion-perl,subversion-python,^
subversion-ruby
: Apache module
> .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion-httpd
: developer/maintainer headers, import libraries, and debug info
> .../setup-x86_64 -gnqrv -P subversion-devel,subversion-debuginfo,^
kdesvn-debuginfo

There are some command line alternatives available on github but due to Windows restrictions they are unable to replace the core and active library DLLs and exes while running those same DLLs and exes.

One of those is apt-cyg and there are many forks of that (including mine) that will install or remove, but not upgrade all, packages and also provides a convenient wrapper similar to apt/-cache/-get/-... for other Cygwin commands useful to core DLL, utility, and package maintainers as well as users.