On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 10:51 AM Lorenz <loren...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> just discovered, that merging into a RO file succeeds.
> I my case the file is RO because of a needs-lock property.
> So when I try to commit I can't.
>
> This effect ist at least annoying.
> There is a reason why the file is read only.

It is interesting both that it was able to do this and also that this
has never come up before. I am not sure I can wrap my head around what
I think should even happen here. There is no way you could be expected
to obtain locks on these files before merging. I guess ideally merge
would obtain locks but I just do not know what merge should do if it
cannot obtain the lock. I guess it should behave the same way it would
if the file was not present due to it being a sparse working copy.

Maybe merge should just refuse to run at all if it detects any
svn:needs-lock properties in the WC?

It is a hard problem to solve.

Mark