Mark Phippard wrote on Fri, 25 Feb 2022 17:59 +00:00:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 12:29 PM Daniel Shahaf <d...@daniel.shahaf.name>
> wrote:
>>
>> Mark Phippard wrote on Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 10:39:13 -0500:

>> > I had not considered your proposal to just lock everything before the
>> > merge. I agree that would be a solution. I cannot predict user
>> > reaction because it is hard to know what kind of scale we are talking
>> > about.
>>
>> To be clear, I didn't intend that as a "solution"; only as a "first
>> approximation workaround", as I said there.
>>
>> > When I said we could "not expect" what I was getting at is that it
>> > would require the user to figure out what files the merge was going to
>> > modify BEFORE they do the merge and lock those files. That does not
>> > seem reasonable ... again I did not consider the simpler lock
>> > everything idea.
>>
>> Why wouldn't that be reasonable?
>
> Different people have different tolerance levels. For me, this would
> be too much to ask and I would question what the tool is really even
> doing for me and look for alternatives.

Ah, I see.  Yes, requiring the user to _manually_ lock all files changed
in the branch doesn't sound right.  It might work better as something
libsvn_client/merge.c does by itself.  (Although, as discussed in the
remainder of the thread, the library should only lock files if the merge
is intended to be committed, and shouldn't lock more files than it needs
to, if possible.)

Cheers,

Daniel