Hi

I just tried compiling a simple java program and got a segmentation fault. I
was using JDK5.0 which I just downloaded.
It's really strange that the javac compiler makes a segfault...

can you give us some more information ? are you sure the installation was successfull ?
on which kind of computer are you running Solaris 9 ? spar c? x86 ?

have you downloaded the right version (i mean 32 or 64 bits ? 64 for ultra sparc processor, 32 for microsparc (SS5 for instance))

you seems to have installed the jdk with the .sh package, can you try to reinstall it with the package ?

download the .Z file
extract it :
tar xfz jdk-1_5_0_05-solaris-sparcv9.tar.Z

install it as root with
pkgadd -d . SUNWj5rtx

and try again please

However, when I use the jdk that came from the system in /usr/sbin/javac,
the compilation completed successfully.
can you compile a very simple example and give us the output of the compiler ?

like this

public class dummy {
       System.out.println("Hello world");
       }
}

then javac dummy.java

please paste the output of the compiler

Looks like I did not install the downloaded JDk1.5 correctly. But, JDK1.5
installation is just running the sh file right?
Use the package, the set the JAVA_HOME to the right place

/usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.5.0/

and be sure that the path is good also. You can know which version you are using by

which javac

it will output the path to the java compiler

If you want a tomcat 5.5.12 rounning out of the box on a solaris 8 9 or 10 , you can use the package from blastwave.org

Kind regards,

--
William Bonnet

SunWizard - Le site francais dédié aux amateurs de stations Unix
http://www.sunwizard.net