> From: Jason Burrows [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Problem with default context when moving from 5.5.7 to 5.5.12
>
> Previously, I had a context.xml file in my tomcat\conf directory with
> this context tag (removed sub elements for brevity):
>
> <Context path="" reloadable="false" docBase="c:\eclipse\myProject"
> crossContext="true">
> </Context>
>
> This worked fine for me in 5.5.7 (on many machines).

But it shouldn't have.  I suspect this was one of the bugs fixed between
.7 and .12, where the documented rules are more tightly enforced.

> After installing 5.5.12, I see there is a context element in this file
> already.

As I understand it, the conf/context.xml provides global settings
applicable to all webapps; it is not there to define a context for any
particular webapp, just extend the context for each.

> How do I set up a default context in 5.5.12 for a web application that
> is not located in the web apps directory (I could do this for 5.5.7
> and before using the method described above).

Rename your context.xml file to ROOT.xml (case sensitive) and put it in
conf/Catalina/localhost (assuming that's the only <Host> you have
defined).  Remove the path attribute if it's still in there.  Include a
docBase attribute that specifies the location of your webapp (you
probably already have that).  Delete the webapps/ROOT directory.
Restart Tomcat.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.