I've set up my system so that Apache handles all requests, and forwards to
the servlet when the path is www.mysite.com/myservlet/*.

Following are my installation notes.
(note that there's a slightly newer version of the JK connector)

% tar zxf jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk2-src-current.tar.gz
% cd jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk2-2.0.2-src/jk/native2
% ./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs
% make
% su
% cp ../build/jk2/apache2/mod_jk2.so /usr/local/apache/modules
% cp ../build/jk2/apache2/jkjni.so /usr/local/apache/modules

make sure that httpd owns the apache directory

tomcat/server.xml: make sure that the following connector is uncommented:
  <Connector className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Connector" port="8009"
minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75" acceptCount="10" debug="0"/>

create a "workers2.properties" file in /usr/local/apache/conf with the
following contents:
  [logger]
  level=DEBUG
  [shm]
  file=/usr/local/apache/logs/jk2.shm
  size=1048576
  [channel.socket:localhost:8009]
  info=Ajp13 forwarding over socket
  tomcatId=localhost:8009
  [uri:/myservlet/*]
  context=/myservlet

% touch /usr/local/apache/logs/jk2.shm
% chown httpd /usr/local/apache/logs/jk2.shm
% chgrp httpd /usr/local/apache/logs/jk2.shm

add the following line to /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
  LoadModule jk2_module modules/mod_jk2.so

I hope this helps.

Daniel