Frank W. Zammetti wrote:

>On Fri, January 27, 2006 8:11 am, David Smith said:
>

>>I will say I have used their products to develop solutions in the past
>>and it's ... well ... interesting.  The stuff works well when you know
>>how to use it.  Unfortunately I found their docs no where near the
>>quality of Tomcat or Java which prolonged development on something that
>>should have been extremely simple.
>>

>Wow, I've had just the opposite experience with their stuff.  Especially
>in terms of documentation, I've always found MSDN to be some of the best
>documentation around, generally far superior to most open-source
>documentation (my guess is they have some generally non-technical editors
>looking it over... I can't imagine that quality of writing came from
>techies!)  I will say though that they do tend to be a little short on
>examples, something open-source tends to have a lot more of.

Examples are IMHO the best documentation.  I can get a lot more
information info with a good example.  Plus I think the MS docs hide too
much of the internals -- a pain when you are analyzing the corner
conditions that might cause an app to fail or unexpected behavior.

>I think it's a difference in culture behind it... MS is coming from a more
>"professional", business-like approach, and in that mindset writing
>documentation takes on more importance.  In the open-source world, there's
>much more of the "here's an example, go look at it and learn" kind of
>mentality.  I'm not making a judgment on which is better, I think they
>both have their pluses and minuses, just pointing out what I see as a
>difference.
>

>>Also the whole C#/aspx design is
>>centered around events just like Windows itself which I find just a
>>little disconcerting.  Not a problem if you're already familiar with
>>programming in Access.  I would prefer a cleaner, more visible flow.
>>

>I'm not sure where the Access analogy comes in, but I do agree in that if
>you haven't done much with the event-driven model before then it can be a
>little disconcerting.  I think we're seeing the same thing in the Java
>space with JSF right now... it's a basically event-driven model (they call
>it component-oriented, but it's in many ways the same thing), and this is
>somewhat new to many... ASP.Net is like bringing Windows programming to
>the web, whereas JSF is like bringing Swing to the web... imperfect
>analogies I suppose, but close enough :)

The layout controls in Access are all very event driven, just like
C#/aspx technology.