Hi
I would like to try out tomcat for new my application. I have used
tomcat for quite some time, but the nature of new application is very
different from the traditional request-response model.

We want to build an application that supports about 1024 keep-alive
connections per machine.(2 GB, x86 running linux 2.6.x). We need
keep-alive support because application is push-oriented. Browsers send
a request and the server keeps the connection open till browser
time-out(~10 mins).

mean-while data is pushed to client as javascript commands. when
browser time-out happens, a command for new connection is sent back.

Application is dynamic in nature, using servlets to publish data.
After googling and going thru mailing archives, i would like to
collect feedback from other tomcat users.

option A) This option is one thread - one connection, so not very
scalable. Just use coyote
HTTP/JK connector , set the thread stack size, VM heap size and
maximum threads in config file. For my other applications, the
defaults worked fine for me. But this time i am looking for as  many
threads as i can support.

What is the maximum number of threads people have success with on
"NORMAL" machines?( ~ 2 GB RAM, single processor running linux ) on
such a machine what is the
maximum possible threads ? what parameters to tune ?

It looks like with a thread stack size of 256 k, 1024 threads should
be possible.

option B) Use tomcat APR. adjust the poller size to 1024. I dont know
how this works out in real  life or what are the max. possible
numbers.

option C) Use glassfish's grizzly as http connector.
I have seen blog posts about grizzly. can this connector be used with
tomcat 5.5.x ?
Has anyone had success using it with this kind of requirement ?

Then, the other bottle-neck is, integrating with apache. If we run
tomcat APJ APR and apache is  the front end then apache would also be
hard pressed to do 1024 keep-alive connections. I can try event MPM or
worker modules. Does this look ok ?

Active child processes - 32
Server Limit - 64
ThreadsPerChild - 32
MaxClients - 1024

I would appreciate if any of you can speak from experience. Our first
aim is to support 1024
keep-alives  with tomcat, then 1024 keep-alives with apache/tomcat
combo, then maybe run multiple instances then multiple machines ...
(Long shot)

I have some dev machines and time for this job. So if you guys help
and want me to run some  benchmarking tool , i can do that also.

Thanks

Rajeev.