> From: Alex Jalali [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: TomCat + mod_jk performance
>
> Maybe the problem is when I was testing static pages, it
> wasn't tomcat as stand-alone vs. apache it was apache vs.
> tomcat + connector + apache

That was hardly a fair test, was it?  Adding processing to each request
will never improve performance.

> also I run the test locally on a windows machine. so perhaps java runs
> slower on windows.

Shouldn't matter much, if (big if) the JVMs are tuned comparably.  The
HotSpot JVM defaults for things like heap size and local allocation
buffers are typically smaller on Windows, so out of the box, Java
applications will appear to run better on Linux/Solaris.

> Although i do have this question about non-static pages. Which do you
> think is faster? let say you have 1GB ram and 2 CPUs. running
> a) apache + 1 tomcat or
> b) apache + 2 tomcat in cluster via mod_jk?

I'd pick c: 1 Tomcat, no httpd.

> would having 2 JVM on the same server that
> has two CPU's run faster or it wouldn't make
> any diffrence?

The number of CPUs has no correlation with the number of JVMs.  Tomcat
is multi-threaded, and one instance will happily use all the CPUs you
have if there's that much work to be done.

> do you know of any tests done for clusters

No, but clustering is bound to slow things down due to extra traffic
among the members.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.