I'm using Eclipse to try and debug a servlet in tomcat. I've got eclipse set up so that it starts and stops tomcat in debug mode (I can tell because the list of tomcat threads is visible and updated when I'm using the debug perspective). I added a few breakpoints to my code and triggered the servlet, but the breakpoints didn't pause the execution. I know the functions were hit because I've got stack traces being logged with exceptions (they're the reason I'm trying to debug in the first place).

I'm not using Eclipse to build or deploy my webapp, but I do want to be able to use it to debug. I have maven building the war and I deploy the webapp by hand (ie cp target mywebapp.war TOMCAT_HOME/ webapps/). I used the eclipse plugin for maven to generate the .project and .classpath files that eclipse is using when I browse my source code. What can I do so that I can also debug it?

Thanks!

Mark