2012/7/7 Dunbar, Kevin D CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 56250
<kevin.dun...@navy.mil>:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use log4j.jar to do the logging in Tomcat 7.0.27 (on Windows
> XP) instead of java.util.logging so that I can append the logs to be output
> to the Windows Event Log.
>
> I followed the instructions to configure Tomcat to use log4j rather than
> java.util.logging for all Tomcat's internal logging.
> (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/logging.html)
>
> I created a log4j.properties file and put it in $CATALINA_BASE/lib
> I put log4j-1.2.15.jar that I downloaded into $CATALINA_HOME/lib
> I put tomcat-juli-adapters.jar that I downloaded into $CATALINA_HOME/lib
> I replaced tomcat-juli.jar from $CATALINA_HOME with the tomcat-juli.jar that
> I downloaded from Tomcat "extras"
>
> It seems that after I replaced the tomcat-juli.jar, I would get the following
> error in tomcat7-stderr.log
>
> 2012-07-06 14:03:56 Commons Daemon procrun stderr initialized
> (org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina).

Your log4j.properties is wrong?
It looks like it does not specify where the messages from
"org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina" log category should be written.

> I also deleted the logging.properties from $CATALINA_BASE/conf

One should not delete the file itself, but only its contents, leaving
an empty file.