On 9/20/2012 3:02 PM, Matthias Müller wrote:
Hi,

Environment variables are irrelevant when running services. That's why
the registry values exist.

That's a good point!
Thanks for the nice discussion.

Matthias - can you please elaborate on exactly what "it is not practicable
for our production environment" means?

I want to put the configuration files and property settings in a local
VCS (e.g. a local git) so that I can track the changes.
But now I see, that there are some technical reasons for using the registry.
I think I will use a batch-script then which sets the registry.

Matthias

PS
There are two ways of setting the registry:

1. CLI via "tomcat.exe //US//Tomcat7 ..."
     There are some examples in the service.bat file.
2. gui via tomcatw.exe

But I think both ways are not compatible.
I.E. when using "tomcat.exe //US//Tomcat7" I won't find the values in
tomcatw.exe

I think you will if you completely stop and restart tomcatw.exe, but not if you leave it running while making the changes.