Hi,

Is there a way to *tell* j_security_check that an Origin: header set (during the login POST request) to a remote server is permitted (and is not an XSS attack)?

We have a tomcat server T running a tomcat webapp that uses j_security_check to auth users

(Excuse me - I am not the tomcat programmer, I'm the sysadmin trying to help the programmer, so my terminology might be bad).

Basically,

http://T/webapp/jsp/login works OK

On Server A running apache, we have a config:

RewriteRule ^/jsp/(.*)$ http://T/webapp/jsp/$1 [P]

(which is a ProxyPass - we have many rewrite rules so prefer to use RewriteRule for consistency)

If we try to login to the tomcat webapp from

http://A/jsp/login

the POST request sends an Origin: header containing http:://A/...

Tomcat seems not to like this as it realises that server A is not where it is running.

I made it work with a disgraceful hack in the apache config:

RequestHeader edit Origin http:\/\/A\/ http:\/\/T\/ early

But now Tomcat can log us in but sends the wrong URI host in the Location: header when it replies with the 302 redirect. So I "fix" this with:

Header edit Location http:\/\/T\/webapp\/jsp\/ http://A/jsp/

It works, but it is horrible and basically leaving a booby trap for the unwary.

Many thanks,

Tim

--
Tim Watts