On 18/01/13 11:27, André Warnier wrote:

I don't know if this really helps or improves things, but the standard way of
handling the
Location in redirects is via the ProxyPassReverse directive (which is probably
more
efficient here - and more easily understood - than the Header-edit).
The ProxyPassReverse directive should work whether you use ProxyPass or not.

Hi Andre,

Yes - I agree about ProxyPassReverse - that likely would fix the redirect incorrectness.

I do not really understand the problem with the "Origin" header though.
Proxying from httpd to Tomcat (even with a differenr hostname) is a widely-used
thing, and
I have never heard of this kind of issue before.
May be something specific to j_security_check, I just don't know.
If you stop editing the request headers, and forward the requests via
ProxyPass, do you
get this problem also ?

I will try -

A RewriteRule .. .. [P] should be equivalent to a ProxyPass, but just in case there is a subtle difference I will give it a try.

I prefer the rewrite rules as there are a bunch of them for other reasons and not mixing RewriteRule with ProxyPass makes it very clear what order they are being actioned (which is important).

Re: j_security_check: I have see a load of issues reported that match this problem - usually the person reports a 408 error and everyone piles in and tries to "solve" that with increasing timeout settings.

the 408 is clearly erroneous - and having "fixed" it myself by editing the Origin header, that's clearly the causal factor.

Oddly enough, I did my usual trick of downloading the source code (for tomcat 6) and doing a recursive grep for any mention of the Origin: header. I found nothing! Which makes me wonder if the problem originates in a generic Java library???

The whole damn thing is so poorly documented (or at least all I could find was a document on who to enable auth checking) that I'm not able to tell if there are some options that I *could* be setting in the web.xml or somewhere.

It seems reasonable that it might whine about a cross-site auth effort, but equally there should be a way to explicitly permit that, at least for a named VHOST. As you say, proxying is very common - for load balancing if nothing else.

I'll go and try your suggestions -

Thanks :)

Tim

Maybe you should also look at ProxypassReverseCookieDomain ?

Tim Watts                               Tel (VOIP): +44 (0)1580 848360
Systems Manager              Digital Humanities, King's College London

Systems Messages and Notifications: https://systemsblog.cch.kcl.ac.uk/
Personal Blog:                         http://squiddy.blog.dionic.net/

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."