Em 25/01/2013 19:39, Christopher Schultz escreveu:

Tiago,

On 1/25/13 4:45 AM, Tiago Sousa wrote:
Em 25/01/2013 08:59, Konstantin Kolinko escreveu:
2013/1/24 Tiago Sousa <tiago-a-so...@ext.ptinovacao.pt>:
Hello to all.

I have tomcat 6
Which version?
I'm using tomcat 6.0.16.
Did you install it from a zip file downloaded from
tomcat.apache.org?
Yes, i installed using a zip file downloaded from
tomcat.apache.org.

using JULI for logging (logging.properties in conf dir) plus
several webapps using its own log4j.properties.

I need to centralized all the logs so i thought to put a
global/shared log4j.properties in $CATALINA_BASE\lib so that
tomcat and each webapp can be controlled through this file. OK,
but make sure that all jars are in their proper places.
Sometimes people read the doc incorrectly.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html
Ok, i think i've done it, namely:

* Put|log4j.jar|and|tomcat-juli-adapters.jar|from "extras"
into|$CATALINA_HOME/lib|. *
Replace|$CATALINA_HOME/bin/tomcat-juli.jar|with|tomcat-juli.jar|from

"extras".

The problem i'm facing is that no logs are produced. At this time
i'm trying to configure just TOMCAT, no webapps, to log through
log4j but still no logs are produced. I've folowed the tutorial in
Apache logging webpage with the standard log4j.properties. No logs
in $CATALINA_BASE\logs.
Which tutorial did you follow?
The one you mentioned:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html
Did you configure them to be written to "${catalina.base}/logs"
? Maybe it tries to write them elsewhere?
It is configured in its standard version (
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html), which i am
using.
Is the file readable?
There is no file, tomcat does not create one and that is my
problem.
I think Konstantin meant "is the config file readable" or perhaps "is
the logs/ directory writable". Of course, all permissions must be
relative to the effective uid running Tomcat.

Check catalina.out. If you don't have a log4j.properties file (or
similar) available, I believe you'll get a message on stdout saying
"You haven't configured log4j properly" and you won't get any further
log messages anywhere.

Hi.

Just another symptom: initially i also thought that could be a permissions problem but it's strange that JULI could create the log file while log4j couldn´t.
I've tried several other approaches but in none the files were created.
I´ve tried the same configuration in Linux. A catalina.out file was created but the other log files: manager, host-manager, admin weren´t.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tiago