On 1/30/2013 10:04 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: Dima Iva [mailto:ots...@live.com] Subject: Tomcat using near
100% of CPU on Windows 2008

I added CATALINA_OPTS=-Xms4096m -Xmx512m to the Environment
Variables

That's clearly wrong; you made the maximum smaller than the minimum.
What makes you think you have a heap size problem?

I don't know about heap size, but I did manage to receive his logs. Hint, most of the time the list strips attachments. If you need to include text, then it's best to include it inline (and remove sensitive data).

In probe.log, I saw the following:

28 Jan 2013 12:39:38 [scheduler_Worker-8] ERROR
 org.quartz.core.JobRunShell  - Job DEFAULT.connectorStatsJobDetail
 threw an unhandled Exception: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

After that, I would think all bets are off.

It looks like you are running (from a quick glance at the logs) a Cocoon plus Solr application? Maybe you do need to increase PermGen space.

Also note that setting environment variables when running tomcat7.exe
is pointless.  Use the control panel (tomcat7w.exe) to set options
for the Tomcat service.

+1

I believe there is a memory leak here

Why?

The last file shows what kind of information Process Explorer lists
for the 91 threads that are part of the tomcat7.exe process,
including the first one that is eating up all the CPU.

Process Explorer is pretty much useless for a Java program; take
several Java thread dumps and see what's going on.

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F

- Chuck

. . . . just my two cents
/mde/