On Jan 30, 2013, at 1:08 PM, Williams, Nick wrote:

> I do not have a preferred implementation, no. I understand the basics of JMS
> and how it works, but I have never actually used it before.

I would second Chris' suggestion that you do a POC and try a few different
implementations.  Find the one that works best for your needs.

> I do usually work with Spring Framework, but my understanding is that it's
> relatively agnostic as to the underlying implementation of JMS.

As is the JMS api.  Either way, your code shouldn't need to change much, if at
all, as you try different implementations.

> ActiveMQ looks interesting. One concern I have is that some of the
> documentation seems rather dated: referring to JavaEE 1.4, for example, when
> 1.6 came out two years ago and 1.7 is on the brink of approval. And then
> there's the context resource definition on the Tomcat page and references to
> the shared lib directory, and immediately below that an 'updated' resource
> definition for "Tomcat 5.5 or later" that's "completely untested but should
> work." Seeing as how 6.0 and 7.0 are both mature and 8.0 is around the corner
> somewhere, this seems awfully dated.

I agree with you here.  The Tomcat integration docs are very out-of-date.  That
said, my experience with the rest of their docs has been OK.

> How well-maintained and up-to-date is ActiveMQ? Can we expect work on the
> impending JMS 2.0 specification to begin any time in the future?

To answer this question, I would suggest you look to their mailing lists and
their code repository.  You can see how often they check in code and how active
the developers are on the mailing list.

Dan