On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 7:04 AM, Rune Stilling <s...@rdfined.dk> wrote:

> Hi list
>
> I have been trying to get this to work by looking a lot on similar
> situations around the net but nothing works. My setup is as follows:
>
> * Tomcat 7.0.37 installed via the Windows service installer package
> * Windows 2003 server
> * Java/JRE 1.7.0_15
> * Using C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\server\jvm.dll

I'm currently running tomcat7.0.37 (since I'm running TomEE 1.6.0-snapshot)
on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit, but when I was running tomcat7/tomee on
Windows Server 2003 32-bit, I was running Client JVM instead of Server JVM
(I wish I knew about Server JVM back in those days...2 or 3 months ago),
but myself and endusers were satisfied with the performance of the web app
running via tomcat7/tomee.

> So the problem is that the Tomcat7 service won't start from the service
> control panel. I just get a "Could not start …" and "Error 1053: The
> service did not respond …".

I experienced that Error 1053 last night (early this morning), but it was
due to my attempt trying to get OpenOffice.org running as a service
'without' AlwaysUp software, but AlwaysUp software will definitely keep
that software up and running.

So, with that said, I will share my experience. tomcat7 (for windows) come
bundled with tomcat7/bin/tomcat7w.exe, which is all you need (and which may
be recommended by all/others) to start/stop and to configure the windows
service.

When installing tomcat7 as windows service for the first time, I have found
success doing the following:

1. open Command Prompt window
2. cd \tomcat7\bin
3. service.bat install tomcat7
4. Create a shortcut to tomcat7w.exe, and copy the shortcut to your desktop
(or Start menu, that's my preference)
5. Open tomcat7w.exe via your shortcut, Command Prompt, or whatever your
preference, and go to Java tab, and configure the java options for the
windows service, accordingly.

> There's nothing in the Tomcat logs (both stdout and stderr are empty). The
> event logs shows a generic service control manager error.
>
> But - If I start the service from the command line by typing "tomcat7
> //TS/Tomcat7" the thing works fine.
>
> Also if I change the service user account to the "Administrator" account I
> get a different error by startup "Error 1068: The dependency service or
> group failed to start".

It is not necessary (at all) to set Administrator. I always accept the
default 'login' settings for tomcat7 windows service. I'm sure you can do
the same, unless you have specific requirement to change service user
account to Administrator.