Chris,

> >> Maybe NetBeans is using Attach API, because NetBeans always shows
> >> up in JVisualVM, if I have the two open on the same box (have
> >> seen this on development server and production server) .
> >
> >> I only use JVisualVM on localhost (behind a firewall), and
> >> Windows Server 2008 (non-R2 and R2) running on both development
> >> and production servers. :)
>
> Try running JVisualVM as administrator. I'm not sure if that is even
> high enough privileges on Microsoft Windows... MS has some odd
> permissions when it comes to "Services".

I hope we are not hijacking this thread. :)

Anyway, I am always logged in as administrator on my development and
production servers.

Please note, I always unzip tomcat/tomee ZIP file(s) to hard drive. Is
Attach API dependent on a tomcat .exe (Windows install), so registry can be
updated, or is Tomcat (for Windows) updating registry when tomcat7 windows
service is installed (or when tomcat is started)?