David Kumar wrote:
Hey,

we just had that problem again. I did that GC trick, it didn't work out well. I used:

set hosts [list]
lappend hosts {localhost:7008}
lappend hosts {localhost:9008}
# ...add as many as you want...

foreach {host} $hosts {
  set parts [split $host ":"]
  set hostname [lindex $parts 0]
  set port [lindex $parts 1]

  # for each host...

  # Connect to it.
  jmx_connect -h $hostname -p $port

  # Invoke the garbage collector.
  jmx_invoke -n -m java.lang:type=Memory gc

  # Close this connection
  jmx_close
}

I found that while googleing.
But it doesn't have any effect. Any other ideas?

Did it really connect with the Tomcat JVM and really do anything ?
Is your JVM started with options that allow JMX interaction ?
Also, there are ways to start the JVM with parameters telling it to log the Garbage Collections to a logfile. Make sure that you do that, and check the logfile to see if it really does a GC when you ask it to.

Note that there are also other ways to trogger a GC than using jmxsh. I was only pointing you to that tool as an easy-to-script, non-GUI tool. But in your java directory (at least the JDK/bin), there should also be a "jconsole" program which allows you to do pretty much the same interactively with a GUI.