hey,
> [...]
>are actually
>2 lines for the same connection, like these :
>
>tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:39872         127.0.0.1:7009          >FIN_WAIT2
>20766/apache2
>. ..
>tcp6       1      0 127.0.0.1:7009          127.0.0.1:39872
>>CLOSE_WAIT  20564/java
>
>..
>
>So let's say that we have in total about 1000 connections active in some
>>state.
>Compared to that, there are 54 connections in CLOSE_WAIT, which is like 5%.
>That does not really sound "pathological" to me, considering that >CLOSE_WAIT
>is a normal
>state through which any TCP connection goes at some point.
>
>If you look again at the above connection, and if I am not confusing my
>>clients and
>servers again, it looks here like :
>- Apache http (PID 20766), as a client, has established a connection to >port
>7009 of the
>server Tomcat (PID 20564). That must be an AJP connection, from the mod_jk
>>module of
>Apache, to the AJP Connector in Tomcat.
>- A while later, Apache closes the connection. It sends a "FIN" packet to
>>Tomcat, and
>waits for Tomcat to acknowledge this FIN packet.
>- when it receives the FIN packet from Apache, Tomcat responds with an ACK,
>>and then goes
>to the CLOSE_WAIT state.
>- when Apache receives the ACK from Tomcat, it goes to state FIN_WAIT2.
>   (and that is the current state of the above connection)
>- now Tomcat is supposed to send a FIN to Apache, and receive an ACK in
>>return.
>- if Apache receives the FIN from Tomcat, it sends back an ACK, and goes >into
>state
>TIME_WAIT (where it doesn't expect anything anymore), and then after a >short
>moment, it
>discards that connection.
>
>If there are connections that remain in the CLOSE_WAIT state for very long,
>>it means that
>something in the last 2 steps above is not working.
>
>Now in your listing, we see about 1900 lines in the TIME_WAIT state, all of
>>them *to* an
>AJP port of Tomcat.  This seems to suggest that the Apache side is working >as
>it should.
>But if the Tomcat side stays in CLOSE_WAIT for a long time, then it would
>>suggest that on
>the Tomcat side, that connection is never properly close()'d.

>But this is the request/response connection, so I doubt that there would be >a
>bug there,
>otherwise we'd have problems reports filling this list every day.
>
>Might there be that there is somewhere a discrepancy between the keep-alive
>>settings,
>between Apache and Tomcat ?
>
>or maybe your server is just not strong enough for the load you are putting

According to vmtools the server is boring most times..

I almost totally agree, but I'm not sure if it is a AJP fault. Because most
time everything is alright, so all of theses steps are done. Just sometimes
after a arbitrarily amount of time ajp / tomcat runs crazy. And in my sample
there is the sourceport 9009 / java.  It looks for me that apache didn't
received the ACK from tomcat after CLOSE_WAIT or it just don't care because
apache thought this connections is already closed?  Let's assume that is the
case.. Isn't there a option to tell tomcat to wait max. time for a response and
after that time kill the connection? As far as I understand connectionTimeout
is just for the initial request, so after Apache did answer in first correctly
connectionTimeout is valueless?

Attached you can find our configuration files, maybe you can find a / some
misconfigurations?

I would agree that we have maybe a kind of misconfigured timeout problem...

thanks

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
David Kumar
Softwareentwickler, B. Sc.
Abteilung Infotech - Interaktiv
TELESTAR-DIGITAL GmbH
Am Weiher 14
D-56766 Ulmen

http://www.telestar.de/
#
# Based upon the NCSA server configuration files originally by Rob McCool.
#
# This is the main Apache server configuration file.  It contains the
# configuration directives that give the server its instructions.
# See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ for detailed information about
# the directives.
#
# Do NOT simply read the instructions in here without understanding
# what they do.  They're here only as hints or reminders.  If you are unsure
# consult the online docs. You have been warned.
#
# The configuration directives are grouped into three basic sections:
#  1. Directives that control the operation of the Apache server process as a
#     whole (the 'global environment').
#  2. Directives that define the parameters of the 'main' or 'default' server,
#     which responds to requests that aren't handled by a virtual host.
#     These directives also provide default values for the settings
#     of all virtual hosts.
#  3. Settings for virtual hosts, which allow Web requests to be sent to
#     different IP addresses or hostnames and have them handled by the
#     same Apache server process.
#
# Configuration and logfile names: If the filenames you specify for many
# of the server's control files begin with "/" (or "drive:/" for Win32), the
# server will use that explicit path.  If the filenames do *not* begin
# with "/", the value of ServerRoot is prepended -- so "foo.log"
# with ServerRoot set to "/etc/apache2" will be interpreted by the
# server as "/etc/apache2/foo.log".
#

### Section 1: Global Environment
#
# The directives in this section affect the overall operation of Apache,
# such as the number of concurrent requests it can handle or where it
# can find its configuration files.
#

#
# ServerRoot: The top of the directory tree under which the server's
# configuration, error, and log files are kept.
#
# NOTE!  If you intend to place this on an NFS (or otherwise network)
# mounted filesystem then please read the LockFile documentation (available
# at <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mpm_common.html#lockfile>);
# you will save yourself a lot of trouble.
#
# Do NOT add a slash at the end of the directory path.
#
#ServerRoot "/etc/apache2"

#
# The accept serialization lock file MUST BE STORED ON A LOCAL DISK.
#
LockFile ${APACHE_LOCK_DIR}/accept.lock

#
# PidFile: The file in which the server should record its process
# identification number when it starts.
# This needs to be set in /etc/apache2/envvars
#
PidFile ${APACHE_PID_FILE}

#
# Timeout: The number of seconds before receives and sends time out.
#
Timeout 600

#
# KeepAlive: Whether or not to allow persistent connections (more than
# one request per connection). Set to "Off" to deactivate.
#
KeepAlive On

#
# MaxKeepAliveRequests: The maximum number of requests to allow
# during a persistent connection. Set to 0 to allow an unlimited amount.
# We recommend you leave this number high, for maximum performance.
#
MaxKeepAliveRequests 120

#
# KeepAliveTimeout: Number of seconds to wait for the next request from the
# same client on the same connection.
#
KeepAliveTimeout 6

##
## Server-Pool Size Regulation (MPM specific)
##

# prefork MPM
# StartServers: number of server processes to start
# MinSpareServers: minimum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxSpareServers: maximum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxClients: maximum number of server processes allowed to start
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves
<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
    StartServers          5
    MinSpareServers       5
    MaxSpareServers      10
    MaxClients          150
    MaxRequestsPerChild   0
</IfModule>

# worker MPM [active]
# StartServers: initial number of server processes to start
# MaxClients: maximum number of simultaneous client connections
# MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# ThreadLimit: ThreadsPerChild can be changed to this maximum value during a
#              graceful restart. ThreadLimit can only be changed by stopping
#              and starting Apache.
# ThreadsPerChild: constant number of worker threads in each server process
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves

#//siehe https://community.jboss.org/wiki/OptimalModjk12Configuration
<IfModule mpm_worker_module>
        StartServers          2
        #Apache.MaxClients = 0.8 * (Tomcat-1.maxThreads + …
Tomcat-n.maxThreads)
http://www.abcseo.com/tech/java/clustering-tomcat-apache#maxclients
        MaxClients          182
        MinSpareThreads      25
        MaxSpareThreads      75
        ThreadsPerChild      26
        MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

# event MPM
# StartServers: initial number of server processes to start
# MaxClients: maximum number of simultaneous client connections
# MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# ThreadsPerChild: constant number of worker threads in each server process
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves
<IfModule mpm_event_module>
    StartServers          2
    MaxClients          150
    MinSpareThreads      25
    MaxSpareThreads      75
    ThreadLimit          64
    ThreadsPerChild      25
    MaxRequestsPerChild   0
</IfModule>

# These need to be set in /etc/apache2/envvars
User ${APACHE_RUN_USER}
Group ${APACHE_RUN_GROUP}

#
# AccessFileName: The name of the file to look for in each directory
# for additional configuration directives.  See also the AllowOverride
# directive.
#

AccessFileName .htaccess

#
# The following lines prevent .htaccess and .htpasswd files from being
# viewed by Web clients.
#
<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
    Satisfy all
</Files>

#
# DefaultType is the default MIME type the server will use for a document
# if it cannot otherwise determine one, such as from filename extensions.
# If your server contains mostly text or HTML documents, "text/plain" is
# a good value.  If most of your content is binary, such as applications
# or images, you may want to use "application/octet-stream" instead to
# keep browsers from trying to display binary files as though they are
# text.
#
DefaultType text/plain

#
# HostnameLookups: Log the names of clients or just their IP addresses
# e.g., www.apache.org (on) or 204.62.129.132 (off).
# The default is off because it'd be overall better for the net if people
# had to knowingly turn this feature on, since enabling it means that
# each client request will result in AT LEAST one lookup request to the
# nameserver.
#
HostnameLookups Off

# ErrorLog: The location of the error log file.
# If you do not specify an ErrorLog directive within a <VirtualHost>
# container, error messages relating to that virtual host will be
# logged here.  If you *do* define an error logfile for a <VirtualHost>
# container, that host's errors will be logged there and not here.
#
ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log

#
# LogLevel: Control the number of messages logged to the error_log.
# alert, emerg.
#
LogLevel warn

# Include module configuration:
Include mods-enabled/*.load
Include mods-enabled/*.conf

# Include all the user configurations:
Include httpd.conf

# Include ports listing
Include ports.conf

#
# The following directives define some format nicknames for use with
# a CustomLog directive (see below).
# If you are behind a reverse proxy, you might want to change %h into
%{X-Forwarded-For}i
#
LogFormat "%v:%p %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %O \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
vhost_combined
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %O \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
combined
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %O" common
LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent

# Include of directories ignores editors' and dpkg's backup files,
# see README.Debian for details.

# Include generic snippets of statements
Include conf.d/

# Include the virtual host configurations:
Include sites-enabled/
<IfModule mod_jk.c>
  JkWorkersFile /etc/apache2/workers.properties
  JkLogFile /var/log/apache2/mod_jk.log
  JkLogLevel error
  JkRequestLogFormat "%w %V %T"
  JkShmFile /var/log/apache2/jk.shm
</IfModule>
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<!--
  contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
  The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
  (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

  limitations under the License.
-->
<!-- Note:  A "Server" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
     define subcomponents such as "Valves" at this level.
     Documentation at /docs/config/server.html
 -->
<Server port="7005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
  <!-- Security listener. Documentation at /docs/config/listeners.html
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityListener" />
  -->
  <!--APR library loader. Documentation at /docs/apr.html -->
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener"
SSLEngine="on" />
  <!--Initialize Jasper prior to webapps are loaded. Documentation at
/docs/jasper-howto.html -->
  <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.core.JasperListener" />
  <!-- Prevent memory leaks due to use of particular java/javax APIs-->
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.core.JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener" />
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.mbeans.GlobalResourcesLifecycleListener" />
  <Listener
className="org.apache.catalina.core.ThreadLocalLeakPreventionListener" />

  <!-- Global JNDI resources
       Documentation at /docs/jndi-resources-howto.html
  -->
  <GlobalNamingResources>
    <!-- Editable user database that can also be used by
         UserDatabaseRealm to authenticate users
    -->
              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
              pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
  </GlobalNamingResources>

  <!-- A "Service" is a collection of one or more "Connectors" that share
       a single "Container" Note:  A "Service" is not itself a "Container",
       so you may not define subcomponents such as "Valves" at this level.
       Documentation at /docs/config/service.html
   -->
  <Service name="Catalina">

    <!--The connectors can use a shared executor, you can define one or more
named thread pools-->
    <!--
    <Executor name="tomcatThreadPool" namePrefix="catalina-exec-"
        maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="4"/>
    -->

    <!-- A "Connector" represents an endpoint by which requests are received
         and responses are returned. Documentation at :
         Java HTTP Connector: /docs/config/http.html (blocking & non-blocking)
         Java AJP  Connector: /docs/config/ajp.html
         APR (HTTP/AJP) Connector: /docs/apr.html
         Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 7080
<Executor name="active-executor" namePrefix="activeThread-" maxThreads="200"
minSpareThreads="30" maxIdleTime="60000" />
    -->
    <Connector port="7080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="7443"  />
    <!-- A "Connector" using the shared thread pool-->
    <!--
    <Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool"
               port="7080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443" />
    -->
    <!-- Define a SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443
         This connector uses the JSSE configuration, when using APR, the
         connector should be using the OpenSSL style configuration
         described in the APR documentation -->
    <!--
    <Connector port="8443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />
    -->

    <!-- siehe https://community.jboss.org/wiki/OptimalModjk12Configuration -->
    <Connector port="7009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="7443"
maxThreads="200" connectionTimeout="200000"  />

    <!-- An Engine represents the entry point (within Catalina) that processes
         every request.  The Engine implementation for Tomcat stand alone
         analyzes the HTTP headers included with the request, and passes them
         on to the appropriate Host (virtual host).
         Documentation at /docs/config/engine.html -->

    <!-- You should set jvmRoute to support load-balancing via AJP ie :
    <Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="localhost" jvmRoute="jvm1">
    -->

      <!--For clustering, please take a look at documentation at:
          /docs/cluster-howto.html  (simple how to)
          /docs/config/cluster.html (reference documentation) -->
      <!--
      <Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.ha.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"/>
      -->

      <!-- Use the LockOutRealm to prevent attempts to guess user passwords
           via a brute-force attack -->
      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.LockOutRealm">
        <!-- This Realm uses the UserDatabase configured in the global JNDI
             resources under the key "UserDatabase".  Any edits
             that are performed against this UserDatabase are immediately
             available for use by the Realm.  -->
               resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
      </Realm>

      <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="false">

        <!-- SingleSignOn valve, share authentication between web applications
             Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html -->
        <!--
        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn" />
        -->

        <!-- Access log processes all example.
             Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html
             Note: The pattern used is equivalent to using pattern="common" -->
         <!-- Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve"
directory="logs"
               prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt"
               pattern="%h %l %u %t &quot;%r&quot; %s %b"
resolveHosts="false"/-->      </Host>
    </Engine>
  </Service>
</Server>
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<!--
  contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
  The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
  (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

  limitations under the License.
-->
<!-- Note:  A "Server" is not itself a "Container", so you may not
     define subcomponents such as "Valves" at this level.
     Documentation at /docs/config/server.html
 -->
<Server port="9005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
[...]

         Define a non-SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 9080
<Executor name="active-executor" namePrefix="activeThread-" maxThreads="200"
minSpareThreads="30" maxIdleTime="60000" />
    -->
    <Connector port="9080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="9443"  />
    <!-- A "Connector" using the shared thread pool-->
    <!--
    <Connector executor="tomcatThreadPool"
               port="9080" protocol="HTTP/1.1"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="9443" />
    -->
    <!-- Define a SSL HTTP/1.1 Connector on port 8443
         This connector uses the JSSE configuration, when using APR, the
         connector should be using the OpenSSL style configuration
         described in the APR documentation -->
    <!--
    <Connector port="8443" protocol="HTTP/1.1" SSLEnabled="true"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />
    -->

    <!-- siehe https://community.jboss.org/wiki/OptimalModjk12Configuration -->
    <Connector port="9009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="9443"