On 3/23/2013 8:13 PM, Harris, Jeffrey E. wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 8:10 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: runtime.exec "cmd.exe /C net use"

Harris, Jeffrey E. wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Flaherty [mailto:pflah...@rampageinc.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 5:22 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: runtime.exec "cmd.exe /C net use"

Hi,

I'm trying to run the following command ( runtime.exec "cmd.exe /C
net use" ) from my tomcat app and it's returning :

net use
New connections will be remembered.

There are no entries in the list.

This only happen when I run as a Windows service. If I run the
tomcat
batch file to start tomcat then "net use" returns all my mapped
network drives. The service login is an account that has access to
the network shares as my app uses those shares, but the service
login
should not preclude the command from executing properly. If I
substitute "dir" for "net use"
that works and I get a directory listing. The combo of "net use"
command using cmd.exe and running as a service seems to be the
conflict.

Any input much appreciated.

Thanks
Pat

I would add that it is kind of doubtful that this has anything directly
to do with Tomcat, or even Java.  Maybe that question would belong more
to some Windows forum.

I absolutely agree.  I would expect to see the same behavior with Apache HTTPD,
IIS, or
any other service that accesses mapped drives.  It is a question of how service
accounts behave
in the windows architecture, rather than something specific with Tomcat.

Jeffrey Harris

It will depend on what user your TC service is running under. If it's running as the LocalSystem user, it will not have access to any network drives, or many other network resources. It can hit some, such as databases.

If you want your TC to be able to see networked drives, you need to run it under the logged-on user's ID. Keep in mind, though, that if the user logs off, the drives will be disconnected. Your best bet in that case it to not connect by drive letter, but rather by the UNC name (what you used to map it when you were logged on). That will work if the user TC is running has has the appropriate permissions to the network resource.