On Mar 24, 2013, at 10:24 AM, Harris, Jeffrey E. wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Flaherty [mailto:pflah...@rampageinc.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:20 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: runtime.exec "cmd.exe /C net use"

On Mar 23, 2013, at 10:00 PM, David Kerber wrote:

On 3/23/2013 8:13 PM, Harris, Jeffrey E. wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for all the input. I know about service logins being only able
to use UNC paths (not drive letters) to access network shares. I know
the service login & password have to have a matching account on the
server with the shares in order for the tomcat app to use (access)
those shares. We do all of this. Out tomcat app depends on network
shares to function and it always has worked as long as the service
login account matches an account on the server with the shares.

What I'm trying to do in an html interface is make a pulldown menu list
of my mapped drives as a location for our database backup. It's a
preference setup to where an automated scheduled backup will write the
backups. I'm using "net use" to produce what you would expect for
output (all the mapped network drives) and parsing the output to
produce the pulldown menu item containing the unc portion gleaned from
the "net use" output. I need the unc portion as this is what a tomcat
app needs. No matter what I do outside the app I cannot produce the
effectively empty list that the app is producing. I'm logged into
Windows as the same account as the service and I open a command prompt and see all my mapped drives via "net use". I have tried UAC on and off and it changes nothing. I added a simple "dir" to the app and I can get
that output but not the "net use"
output. I do know it has to do with the service as I said because when
tomcat is started via the startup.bat it works great.

Maybe it is a Windows question but thought someone may have had some
similar experience.

Thanks for eveyone's thoughts.

-Pat

You still have not answered how the mapping are being made in the first place. Is the service account dynamically setting the mapping using net use, or through the Windows
API?  Are you relying on static mappings in the user account profile?

Hi Jeffrey,

The drive mapping are happening through the Windows Explorer interface. The file server is browsed and the shares on the file server are mapped by right-clicking the share, mapping it to a drive letter and I check the checkbox "Reconnect at logon". Then I start my app. (I'm not using any user profiles.)

-Pat

Jeffrey Harris

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee(s) named herein and may contain proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail or believe that you received this email in error, please take immediate action to notify the sender of the apparent error by reply e-mail; permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments from your computer; and do not disseminate, distribute, use, or copy this message and any attachments.