On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Howard W. Smith, Jr. <
smithh032...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> designed/expected in your app.
>>>
>>> Excuse me, if I missed the business requirement specification (earlier in
>>> this conversation), but is the requirement only to get a list of mapped
>>> drives for 'your' user login or any enduser that logs into the production
>>> server/client/PC/machine?
>>>
>>> can you add the list of network drives to a database table, and maintain
>>> the database table and retrieve the list from that database table via the
>>> tomcat-app-running-as-service?
>>>
>>> if you only need a list of mapped network drives for your user login, can
>>> you just maintain a 'file' that has this list on the target/production
>>> server, and whenever it changes, can you update the file, and make the
>>> topcat-app-running-as-service to always read the file instead of having
>>> call 'net use'?
>>>
>>> IMHO and FWIW, i would never go with the approach of relying on a windows
>>> 'command line' to do this/that for me. yes, in my app, i allow endusers
>>> update files/documents, and the app saves the files/documents to a
>>> certain
>>> folder on the server, and my app will list those files on a web page, and
>>> they can view/download those files from/via the web app... all that is
>>> done
>>> via java instead of doing a 'cmd.exe dir'. i'm new to java, always wanted
>>> to be java developer, and loving what i can do with java. i'm almost
>>> getting to the point, where my days of a 'windows user' are done... one
>>> day, i hope to migrate to linux for target server instead of windows
>>> server. :)
>>>

>> This is what I see. If my service logs in as "service-user" and I login
>> normally to my desktop as "dt-user".
>> I call "net use" from my service and get an empty list. Now I logout as
>> "dt-user"and login as "service-user" and I mapped
>> 4 drives and only 2 of the drives are mapped persisted (i.e. reconnect at
>> logon). I logout as "service-user" and
>> now I have my app call "net use" programatically and it returns the 2
>> drives that were mapped with persistence.
>> Conclusion: Whatever drives are mapped persisted when logged in as the
>> user the service logs in as, then your
>> app can call "net use" and get those drives returned from "net use" even
>> if your logged in as "dt-user" OR nobody
>> is logged in at all !!!!
>>
>> Maybe someone can confirm my finding, but this is what I see.
>>

> Your findings are all good; reading and digesting and wanting to
> respond/participate since I'm definitely a developer using/deploying-app to
> Windows/tomcat7 . :)
>
> If you could provide a WAR (little test app), I would be more than willing
> to give this a shot on my Windows Server 2008 64-bit (standard/Vista)
> development server and maybe even try it on my Windows Server 2008 R2
> 64-bit (R2 = Windows 7, from what I understand), but I'd have to setup a
> Windows user/environment for this...to mimic what you're doing.

Sorry, I was going to say, I still would develop some type of batch file or
some type of app that could run when user logs out of the machine...that
will do a 'net use > \someDriveLetter\someFolder\someFile.txt', and I would
make sure the app reads that file instead of going through the procedure of
logging in as a certain user, logging out, and then running your
tomcat-app-as-service...just so the app can reliably call 'net use' and get
the expected/desired output.

maybe i should have written this response against the last email that you
sent. :)