We are very much off topic here, but that is not exactly right.

A CAL grants the right to access a server (or multiple servers) for
file and print purposes.

A terminal server license is what lifts the cap on the two remote users.
And to complicate things further, there are terminal server CALs for
clients actually using the terminal services enabled by the terminal
server license!

(And there are separate CALs for other products, such as SQL Server and
SCCM.)

> Per my experience, Windows Server 2003 (standard version) is sold with
> 2 CALs, and you can purchase additional, such as 5 CALs, etc...

Standard Editions of Windows Server come bundled with 5 CALs; Enterprise
editions come bundled with 25.  The two is the limit for remote terminal
sessions.

> Recently, for the web app that I developed, we got  Windows Server 2008
> R2, and I think we purchased it with 5 CALs.
>
> Client Access Licenses (CALs) allow you to have that many people login
> simultaneously on the server.
>
> For years and ever since we purchased it, only 2 people were able to
> login to the Windows Server 2003 'remotely' (via Remote Desktop). Why?
> because we had the default/bundled 2 CALs.

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) named herein and may contain proprietary information. If you are
not the intended recipient of this e-mail or believe that you received this
email in error, please take immediate action to notify the sender of the
apparent error by reply e-mail; permanently delete the e-mail and any
attachments from your computer; and do not disseminate, distribute, use, or
copy this message and any attachments.