From: Howard W. Smith, Jr. [mailto:smithh032...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:50 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: FW: Tomcat 5.5.20 not stopping and starting correctly

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM, Tailor,Nilesh <nilesh.tai...@fhlbny.com>wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  This has been working without any issues so far.
>  The problem started to appear yesterday.  The strange thing is that
> it does not write any error to the logs.

It's always best to inform the (tomcat) list what changed on the server between
the last time that everything was working -and- now (the time that it is not
working. What operating system are you running? Based on my research (see my
later comments below), it seems as though you are running Windows? I am running
Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit, and I recognized that my server restarted
automatically this morning, most likely, because of automatic (Windows)
updates. Was your server updated last night or this morning as well, because of
automatic Windows updates? and did the windows
update(s) impact your tomcat install/configuration? :)

> > We currently have an issue whereby Tomcat 5.5.20 does not seem to
> > stop
> and start correctly.  When we stop the service the below message appears:
> >
> > 'Windows could not stop the Apache Tomcat 5.5.20 service on
> Local Computer. Error 109: The pipe has been ended.'

I just searched google for the following:

service on Local Computer. Error 109: The pipe has been ended[1]

and found the following (among other interesting 'search results'):

start/stop Tomcat 7 windows service on 64-bit results in error[2]

[1]
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=service+on+Local+Computer.+Error+109%3A+The+pipe+has+been+ended
[2]
http://www.coderanch.com/t/516317/Tomcat/start-stop-Tomcat-windows-service

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this e-mail and any
attachments (including, but not limited to, any attached e-mails) may be
legally privileged and confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify the sender and permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments
immediately. You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail or any attachment
for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of the contents to any other
person. Thank you.