Hi Jakub,

Thank you for the suggestions.  Appreciate the thoughts.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Jakub 1983 <jjaku...@gmail.com> wrote:

> try to comment out RemoteAddrValve,
> and check if the error still exists

Yes, I had tried that.  It didn't work.

> have you added <role rolename="manager-jmx"/> into users.xml ?
> add <role rolename="manager-gui"/> and try with web page, what is the error
> ?

Good idea.  Adding a manager-jmx role entry didn't make a difference.
And, yes, I am able to access "/manager/html/".  I logged in at the prompt.

> have you tried with bare
>         <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
>                resourceName="UserDatabase"/> - without sha ?
>
> Passwords work fine.  So SHA is not the issue.

> for me, starting with pure downloaded latest tomcat 7, following
> configuration enables html manager:
>   <role rolename="tomcat"/>
>    <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
>    <role rolename="admin"/>
>   <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat"
> roles="tomcat,manager-gui,admin"/>
>
> HTML manager works for me too.

> download new tomcat,

Yes, I may have to do that.

> check if above conf  works for you, than add manager-jmx, check with jmx
> and than add RemoteAddrValve, check, and than add sha.

The funny thing is that I gather the JMX metrics in an identical manner on
Tomcat 7.0.23 and JDK 1.6 on several  other RedHat Linux servers.

Thanks for letting me brainstorm.

                    -Shanti