I've noticed the following disparity between using two different versions of
Tomcat when setting system properties using -D.
If I pass in -Dfoo="bar" into Tomcat, and then look up the value of the 'foo'
system property, I get different results depending on which version of Tomcat I
use.
Tomcat 7.0.37:
System.getProperty("foo") returns "bar" (with quotes)
Tomcat 7.0.27:
System.getProperty("foo") returns bar (without quotes)
What is the 'correct' behaviour of this and should a bug be raised?
For reference, I'm doing this on AWS Elasticbeanstalk, so it's using 64-bit
architecture and AWS's default distribution (which uses yum repositories though
I don't know exactly which distro it is based on). AWS sets the parameters
automatically form me via a nice web UI so I can't just pass in -Dfoo=bar as
that is hidden from me.