> From: Steve Arch (sarch) [mailto:sa...@cisco.com]
> Subject: RE: Different handling of -Dfoo="bar" between versions

> AWS's tools pass the values to tomcat.

This is not an adequate description.  Tomcat must be launched by some
mechanism, such as the java executable, JSVC service wrapper, class loading
from some already running Java application, etc.  What's being used here?

> I supply a set of key:value pairs and AWS (ElasticBeanstalk) passes them to
> tomcat via the command line.

Exactly what command line?  Tomcat itself is just a set of class files, not an
executable.

> Something has changed between version 24 and 37 in Tomcat when it parses the
> JVM options (-D).

Again, Tomcat does not parse command line options and has absolutely nothing to
do with the JRE-supplied System class.  The launcher used to start Tomcat does
parse the command line; Tomcat has no built-in launcher.

> Mikolaj's response says that the input was illegal anyway (quotes have
> to surround the whole string: "-Dfoo=bar" or "-Dfoo=bar bar" rather than
> -Dfoo="bar bar").

> As long as I know that -Dfoo="bar" is illegal syntax

It's not illegal (and Mikolaj never said it was), but it may not be what you
want.  When quotes come after the equals sign, they are part of the value;
quotes surrounding the entire expression are stripped off by the shell when
creating the argument list for the executable.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.