Marko,

On 11/20/13, 8:14 AM, marko lugarič wrote:
> Hello
>
> The tests are run in the following manner: around 5 min to start
> the server and connect all clients. Then I can apply load from
> clients: on the graph I applied only half load for first seven
> minutes an then full load but this is not required - I can go with
> full load after all clients connect. So once full load is applied
> usually in less then 5 minutes pool has no connections (it) - then
> I can leave it for half hour (tested today) and nothing changes (0
> empty and zero active connections). But i didn't have logAbandonded
> set - I can test this too if you think there will be difference. In
> the usual test when i saw that there is no connections I turned off
> server (2 - 5 minutes later).

Having logAbandoned set to "true" is pretty critical, here. Please
re-enabled it and re-test.

In a separate thread, markt pointed out that Tomcat-pool allows you to
leak resources much more readily than the dbcp-based pool if you don't
exercise proper resource management. I posted a link to my old blog
post on the subject, and I'll post it here again as well:

http://blog.christopherschultz.net/index.php/2009/03/16/properly-handling-pooled-jdbc-connections/

If you have sloppy JDBC resource management, you are going to waste
resources on both the client and the server unless you have a pool
that spends inordinate resources tracking everything to clean up after
your sloppy code.

Tomcat-pool has a StatementFinalizer interceptor
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/jdbc-pool.html#org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.interceptor.StatementFinalizer)
that you can use to help clean-up the messes that you create.

It would be better, though, to clean-up your resources.

Dan Mikasa suggested using a tool like Findbugs on your code, which
easily identifies things like potential leaks in JDBC resources. It's
well worth the time to download and run it. (Besides, all you need is
a JAR file with your code and you can just say "scan the JAR file for
bugs". It does not require a great deal of setup).