On 27 November 2013 17:10, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> On 11/27/13, 11:18 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:
>> Scenario. Tomcat install on Linux, wired to router. Windows 7
>> connected to router via wifi.
>>
>> from windows.
>>> ping ip.address     no problem
>
> Which IP address? The local one or the public one of the router? I
> suspect the former.

the ip of the tomcat server.... i.e.
   192.168.1.254
  from which
    .....65:8081 should be visible.

>> http access to tomcat from windows. Nothing telnet access to tomcat
>> ip port     Nothing
>>
>> wired access to tomcat from a.n.other  no problem
>
> You mean when you try to reach Tomcat's HTTP port from a machine
> hard-wired on the network using the local IP, it works fine?

No, sorry , I lie
Oops, Google chrom could not connect to
192.168.65:8081

> To summarize, you can ping from anywhere but HTTP only works when you
> use a hard-wired client? Odd.

ping works from both wired/wireless to the 'main' wired machine
containing the tomcat server

> What if you hard-wire the Windows box?

I have both... neither works (sorry)

>> I've got Zone alarm on the windows box.
>
> Does it have any rules concerning outbound traffic? It might be
> blocking lots of stuff to the local network.

Outbound?
 I presumed the block (if there was one) was inbound, http
from 'trusted zone'

>> I think I have set it to pass through for 'trusted' zone on my
>> local net.
>
> Okay, maybe not.
>
> Some routers have AP-isolation features where the WiFi clients can
> only get to the "outside" of the network, and can't contact local
> machines. But since you can ping the local machine that seems to rule
> that out.

IMHO
    I can ping it... does that necessarily mean I can get http connections?

>> Can anyone think of more 'blocks' to seeing the server please?
>
> As far as the Linux machine is concerned, there is no difference
> between a WiFi and hard-wired client, as long as they are in the same
> IP range. I'm not sure you could configure iptables to restrict based
> upon that criteria alone. Is iptables running? What rules does it have?

Sorry.. excuse my ignorance, but how to check?

> Windows has a built-in firewall, but I believe it's configured out of
> the box to allow anything to call-out to port 80. I'm not sure about
> 8080. If you have ZoneAlarm, does that mean you have 2 software
> firewalls in the mix on that machine? You may want to check *both*
> their settings.

I believe I have switched off the M$ firewall, since I have zonealarm running?

> Finally, the router can do weird things, too. Check your settings for
> anything "restriction-related".

It's a BT (our national phone company) router+wifi
I haven't found anything strictly ip to ip mapping related.

That is one of the potential blockers.

regards

--
Dave Pawson